Friday, July 19, 2013

More Favorite Handkerchiefs

Here are some more favorite handkerchiefs from my collection. I stated collecting handkerchiefs in 1993 so I could make a handkerchief quilt. Back then I found them for fifty cents or a dollar as yard sales and dumpy flea markets. Later I started to buy on eBay as well as in antique malls and flea markets. Now I have six or eight hundred in my collection, some meant for cutting, some for quilting, and some just because they are lovely to behold.

This mint with label peacock has more intense colors in real life . I believe it is from the later 20th c, 60s or 70s even.

A painterly presentation of trees, this hanky is in Pat Gardner's book Handkerchief Quilts. I was lucky to find one of my own on eBay.


I loved this later 20th c Japanese handkerchief so much I made it into a wall hanging. I added borders that continued the hanky design elements.


A literary souvenir handkerchief is of The House of the Seven Gables which inspired Nathaniel Hawthorne's book of the same name.


I was born near Lake Erie, moved to Michigan, and for some time have lived along Lake Michigan. This Great Lakes hanky from the 50s is one of my favorite souvenir hankies.


I love this natural looking flower garden with the light blue background.


I have a collection of hankies with leaves on them, which I have always planned to make into a bed quilt some day. This is one of the more vibrant ones.


I also collect handkerchiefs with violets and pansies. Have planned to make a bed quilt with them some day. I wonder if I will live long enough to make all these quilts I want to make!


I hope you enjoyed seeing some more vintage handkerchiefs!

2 comments:

  1. I have a small collection of handkerchiefs too...so pretty and easy to store (when compared to quilts!) The only ones that may make it into a quilt are the dozen Christmas hankies! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are SO much easier to store than quilts or fabric.

    ReplyDelete