Sunday, December 17, 2017

Eat. Prey. Love. And Holiday News.

An a recent early morning my husband called me to the back window. A hawk with a rat in its talons was struggling to get it to the roof of the garage. 

 He sat there for a while before flying off to his official dining room.
Because we live near so many restaurants rats are a problem. As are skunk, raccoon, and coyote. Rabbits and opossum are also around. There were canine tracks in the back yard a few days ago, an overnight visitor. With no more doggies of our own the yard is usually pristine.

pristine snow. 
I am concerned a neighbor is using rat poison, which will also poison the hawk. It would be better if people 1) kept their trash in sealed trash cans 2) did not leave bags of empty soda pop bottles and cans outdoors 3) and if they cleared out the area behind their garage of tall weeds and cast-offs.

A quilt friend brought in her friend's unfinished quilt made by her grandmother. We discussed how it could be finished. The Dresden Plates were basted and hand sewn onto an aqua shot cotton fabric.


It had flannel sheets used for a batting and a thin cotton muslin for a backing. The fabrics were in pristine condition!

I made my first quilt in 1991, a gift to my brother. He gave it to me for repair work, the second go-around for repairs. I used fabrics from my home decorating projects, shirts, and new fabric.
 I was very ignorant and would not ask for help. For quilting, I big stitched with button hole thread.
The paisley was left from I dress I made. The tan with teal squares was curtains and a comforter we had in our bedroom.
The quilt is quite faded and looks it age, so I have simply patched it. In the photo below I found the original fabric to patch over a spot that had worn to tatters.
 I turned the top border fabric to the back to bind the quilt off.
To my brother Thomas Gochenour on the occasion of his college graduation 1991, Nancy Bekofske, Hillsdale, MI
It is comfort food weather in Michigan. I saw this easy recipe for Chicken Pot Pie on Facebook and we tried it out the next day. We made biscuits from scratch.
It uses three boneless, skinless chicken breasts in 1" pieces and sauteed in oil. Then you take a half onion chopped, two carrots peeled and chopped, and 2 stalks celery chopped and cook them in the oil along with a teaspoon of fresh thyme. When the veggies are soft add 3 tablespoons flour and stir and cook a bit before adding 2 cups of chicken broth. Simmer and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat, add the chicken and 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. (I used 1 tbsp. milk and 1 tbsp. yogurt.) Place biscuits on top, brush with egg wash, and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

And we had home made bean soup for lunches.

We have put up our Christmas tree in the family room. The ornaments each have special memories, so many were gifts from people or bought at church bazaars. And there are the wooden ornaments we bought and painted for our first tree in 1972.
I am holding our pet Nasturtium in  1973. We cut the tree ourselves and
decorated it with the wood ornaments. The olive wood
Nativity set was bought at a church SERVE store in Columbus, OH.

Our tree in 1972, which we cut ourselves, and decorated with popcorn strings
and the wood ornaments.
I still remember my husband painted the purple dog above!
Our tree this year. I made the skirt in the 1990s.

I am working on cleaning up unfinished projects in the quilt room, Row By Row and single blocks, repair work, and other duties. I made a block into a large 'mug rug' with two smaller mug rugs.

I always find time for reading, regardless of holiday activities! The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin just came in from Bookish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment