Wednesday, January 24, 2018

CAMEO Quilters Guild Hosts Award Winning Jan Berg-Rezmer

The local quilt guild hosted Michigan quilter Jan Berg-Rezmer this month. Jan's quilt odessy started in 2007. She quickly catapulted to being on the 2017 AQS quilt calender!

I first saw Jan's quilts in the West Branch Quilt Walk shows (read about it here and here).

Jan's quilt in the West Branch Quilt Walk


After a career as an Oakland County, MI police officer, Jan gained a ground in art through adult education classes before turning to fabric. She has studied with well known art quilters including Jean Wells, whose book Intuitive Color and Design I will soon be reviewing on this blog,  Katie Pasquini Masopust, who I saw speak years ago at the Capital City Quilt Guild, and Laura Heine, who I wrote about on my blog after seeing her booth at the Grand Rapids AQS show.


Jan's art quilts incorporate many methods including photos printed on fabric, thread painting, painting with fabric dye, hand dying, and confetti, raw edge, and turned applique. I think she has tried every new method and surface design method out there!

Confetti are small fabric pieces that are not fused. A tulle overlayer and machine quilting holds them in place
The quilts were  smaller scale, from wall hangings to framed pieces.


Jan led a class in thread painting for the guild. Here is her class sample. She printed a photo on fabric at Spoonflower and used cotton threads to thread paint.

Back side of the quilt showing the thread painting
 Here is another sample of her thread painting of photos on fabric, in which she also used fabric dye.


She finds inspiration everywhere. These quilts were inspired by photos.


I was inspired! I need to return to making more art quilts!
Jan Berg-Rezmer at the 2015 West Branch, MI Quilt Walk

I was so pleased to hear Jan talk and to see her amazing quilts. And I thank the CAMEO Quilters Guild for bringing her to our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment